Extended Essay is required by International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP). Its advantages are unlimited but students need to learn well about the proper process and final assessment to these special type of essays.
There are different types of essays and one of them is Extended Essay which has real importance for the students as its preparation is required by International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP). The extended essay finishes with 4000 words showing significant research work carried out by the student independently. EE is considered to be really important for the students as it lets them have a lot of learning opportunities that paves ways for their future employment.
Why an Extended Essay Has Significant Value?
This is really an important question and its answer will let you know how important it is for the students. A well-researched and well written extended essay can help you in different situations and just the few of advantages are mentioned below to give you an idea of its real significance.
- This can give you an opportunity to have practical experience of preparation for your undergraduate research.
- You will also be able to do research on a particular topic of your choice which may also be related to any of the 6 DP Subjects of the students.
- The experience of research while working on extended essay, develop different skills in a student. For example, effective communication of ideas, development of proper argument, formulation of necessary research questions and most importantly discovery of a particular topic.
- When a student takes part in the development process of an extended essay, his capabilities for analyzing, synthesizing and evaluating knowledge are greatly developed.
- Extended essays may also be carried out during world studies, when students are required comprehensive interdisciplinary learning of a topic of current global implication, across 2 International Baccalaureate Diploma Disciplines.
Preparation Process of Extended Essay
- When a student is assigned to do research to write an extended essay, he is not left alone feeling to do this all without any support, guidance and advice but he is provided full support and guidance whenever he needs and this all is done with the help of a overseer who might be the school teacher himself.
- The IB highly recommends that each student who is working on extended essay must finish his or her project with a final interview with overseer and this process is usually called Viva Voce.
- Both the essay and the interview are considered to be really significant motivation for dialog in such countries where candidates have to take interviews before they are given an accepted place for employment at the university.
Final Assessment of Extended Essay
Extended Essays prepared by students are assessed externally by the examiners who are appointed for assessment by International Baccalaureate. These essays may be marked from 0-36 on a scale. The scores refer to the bands which are as follow:
Extended Essays have real significance not just because they are required by International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) but also because they bring a lot of opportunities for learners to improve their researching, analyzing, synthesizing, evaluating and writing skills.